Skip to content

For New and Transfer Students Attending EMCC

1.  Choose a Program of Study at EMCC  

  •      Meet with Admissions staff in the Welcome Center to discuss your educational goals.   Contact or call 207-974-4680.
    • Submit a no-fee online application for admission
    • Send us an official copy of your high school transcript diploma or GED (contact the Department of Education in the state you received your GED), as well as official college/university and military training transcripts
  •  Schedule time to meet a one of EMCC's VA School Certifying Officials:
    • Lew Miller,, 207-974-4620 or
    • Candace Ward,, 207-974-4624.    
    • Liana Fellis,, 207-974-4625
    • Ask our Admissions staff about Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).  You may be eligible to earn college credits for experiences gained outside post secondary education. Request your military transcript from the American Council On Education (Go here to make your request).
      • Tip:  Reducing the total number of courses you have to take to earn your degree can lower your total college expenses.

2. Sign up for VA Benefits

  •      Credit and Non-Credit programs: Apply online for federal VA benefits (VONAPP) by going to: and click on “Apply for Benefits”.
    • Transfer students will have to complete another form at  VONAPP called the 22-1995 (Change of Training or Place of Training).
  •      Dependents & Spouses of Veterans complete VA form 22-5490.
  •      Within 2 weeks of submitting their application to the VA, the student will  receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from the VA.

3.  Sign up for EMCC classes

  • Credit programs: After you have been admitted to the college, Advising Center staff will contact the student about creating a schedule of classes. 
    • (Only classes that are part of your specific academic program can be included in your certification)
    • Purchase books and materials.
    • Non-Credit programs: Our Workforce Training staff will meet with you to discuss your educational goals and sign you up for courses.

 4. Submit Semester Request For Semester Certification form

  • Credit and Non Credit programs: Submit the Request For Semester Certification as soon as you register for classes or at least 30-40 days prior to the beginning of the next semester of attendance to the Financial Aid Office located in the Enrollment Center, Katahdin Hall. 
  • If you want to view your personal Federal VA Benefits online, please log-in HERE. First time recipients are strongly encouraged to call V.A. Buffalo to understand your educational benefit options: 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBILL 1)

 5. Consider doing a FAFSA

If you are pursuing credit courses through a degree/certificate program at EMCC, request additional scholarships, grants, student employment or loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually at


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at


Eastern Maine Community College is approved by the US Veterans Administration for training of veterans and their dependents. Students who are eligible for VA education benefits are encouraged to meet with EMCC's Veteran Services staff in the Enrollment Center in Katahdin Hall as soon as they apply for admission to the college.

EMCC participates in the following programs:

·    Post - 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

·    Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)

·    Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)

·    Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) (Chapter 1607)

·    Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

·    Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) (Chapter 32)

For information about the State of Maine Veterans Dependent Tuition and Fee Waiver Program, visit Maine Bureau of Veterans Services.  Veterans are encouraged to contact this Bureau to ensure access to all benefits to which they are entitled through the State of Maine.

To view information from the Bureau on a broad range of benefits, services, and veterans-related organizations, download the Maine Veterans’ Benefits and Resources Guide.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at




Title Description File type

Student should complete each term to request confirmation of enrollment be sent to the VA


How will the Koss Scholarship affect Chapter 35 benefits


Self-Certify Enrollment

Effective December 17, 2021, the Veterans Administration requires students receiving a monthly housing allowance due to Post-9/11 GI Bill to self-verify their enrollment each month before they can receive their housing allowance.  The Veterans Admini...

Read more Self-Certify Enrollment Read more

Eligible Classes for Your VA Benefits

Only courses that satisfy a Veteran student's academic program requirements as outlined by the EMC catalog, based on the student's entry year can be certified for VA benefits.  If a Veteran student takes a class that does not fulfill academ...

Read more Eligible Classes for Your VA Benefits Read more

Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607

Students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 must verify their enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR). VA prefers student use WAVE as their verification method.  Instructions to co...

Read more Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 Read more

Academic Evaluation of Prior College Attendance

Veterans must provide academic transcripts from all colleges they previously attended.  EMCC is required by the VA to evaluate any prior academic credit prior to certification of Veterans benefits.

You are not authorized to use this portlet; It is only available to users in certain roles within the portal.