For New and Transfer Students Attending EMCC

1.  Choose a Program of Study at EMCC  

  •      Meet with Admissions staff in the Welcome Center to discuss your educational goals.   Contact or call 207-974-4680.
    • Submit a no-fee online application for admission
    • Send us an official copy of your high school transcript diploma or GED (contact the Department of Education in the state you received your GED), as well as official college/university and military training transcripts
  •  Schedule time to meet a one of EMCC's VA School Certifying Officials:
    • Lew Miller,, 207-974-4620 or
    • Candace Ward,, 207-974-4624.    
    • Liana Fellis,, 207-974-4625
    • Ask our Admissions staff about Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).  You may be eligible to earn college credits for experiences gained outside post secondary education. Request your military transcript from the American Council On Education (Go here to make your request).
      • Tip:  Reducing the total number of courses you have to take to earn your degree can lower your total college expenses.

2. Sign up for VA Benefits

  •      Credit and Non-Credit programs: Apply online for federal VA benefits (VONAPP) by going to: and click on “Apply for Benefits”.
    • Transfer students will have to complete another form at  VONAPP called the 22-1995 (Change of Training or Place of Training).
  •      Dependents & Spouses of Veterans complete VA form 22-5490.
  •      Within 2 weeks of submitting their application to the VA, the student will  receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from the VA.

3.  Sign up for EMCC classes

  • Credit programs: After you have been admitted to the college, Advising Center staff will contact the student about creating a schedule of classes. 
    • (Only classes that are part of your specific academic program can be included in your certification)
    • Purchase books and materials.
    • Non-Credit programs: Our Workforce Training staff will meet with you to discuss your educational goals and sign you up for courses.

 4. Submit Semester Request For Semester Certification form

  • Credit and Non Credit programs: Submit the Request For Semester Certification as soon as you register for classes or at least 30-40 days prior to the beginning of the next semester of attendance to the Financial Aid Office located in the Enrollment Center, Katahdin Hall. 
  • If you want to view your personal Federal VA Benefits online, please log-in HERE. First time recipients are strongly encouraged to call V.A. Buffalo to understand your educational benefit options: 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBILL 1)

 5. Consider doing a FAFSA

If you are pursuing credit courses through a degree/certificate program at EMCC, request additional scholarships, grants, student employment or loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually at


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at